JEWISH GARDEN

Prague 1, New Town

Spálená, Purkyňova, Jungmannova, Vladislavova

Archaeological remains of burial

Public transport - tram station Národní třída/ Lazarská/ Vodičkova. Metro station Národní třída (yelow line B). The cemetery is hidden under the current surface.

A Jewish cemetery, in the Middle Ages referred to as a Jewish garden, encompassed two extensive New Town blocks within Spálená, Purkyňová, Jungmannova, and Lazarská Streets. The earliest information about its existence is traditionally associated with the documents of Ottokar II of Bohemia in the second half of the 13th century. However, the cemetery as such was mentioned as late as 1341. In 1478, Vladislaus II cancelled it and divided the area into lots at the end of the same year.

Research conducted in the years 1997–1999 in house no. 1390 revealed crucial information. Up to 400 graves were uncovered, and the original surface of the cemetery was identified; the slabs of the individual graves exceeded it. The dead were mostly laid in wooden coffins. The grave orientation corresponds with the usual east–west practice. By contrast, the slate plates placed on the eyes or in the mouths of the deceased are rather specific as well as the quartzite stones at their feet. The elements of grave goods were recognised in three graves – textile bandages on heads, two circular buckles, and a wire headband. The uncompromising approach of the Jewish community regarding the inviolability of the remains was a valuable experience and a precedent for further research activities. Because of the finding’s importance, it was designated as the cultural monument called the ‘Jewish garden’. In connection with further building activities, the northern border of the necropolis was reviewed (at the boundary of Purkyňova Street and the Quadrio building). In the northeast, the cemetery was probably separated by a trench. Furthermore, the time of burying was specified, dating it to the early 13th century. Research further confirmed the preservation of the bottom parts of burial pits with the remains under the first basement of the current housing development, particularly at 26 Jungmannova Street. A collection of 24 fragments of tombstones placed secondarily in the walls of the houses adjacent the northern side of the cemetery further evidence burial activity.

In 2016, a symbolic monument was unveiled at the corner of Purkyňova and Vladislavova Streets.

In 2016, a symbolic monument was unveiled at the corner of Purkyňova and Vladislavova Streets.

Datum vložení: 24.1.2019 | Datum aktualizace: 3.7.2020
Autor: Tomasz Cymbalak

Použité prameny:
  • Cymbalak, T. – Staňková, V. 2014b: Židovská zahrada na Novém Městě pražském. Staletá Praha 30/2, 86–110.
  • Selmi Wallisová, M. 2009: Židovský hřbitov ve Vladislavově ulici. Staletá Praha 25/2, 54–65.
  • Staňková, V. 2011: Výsledky záchranného archeologického výzkumu v Purkyňově ulici na Novém Městě pražském. Staletá Praha 27/2, 60–73.