Disappeared medieval church

Prague 1, Old Town

Na Zábradlí 205

the extinct medieval church

Public transport - tram stop Karlovy Lázně, walk to Na Zábradlí/ metro station Staroměstská (green line A), further walk on Křižovnická street. The monument is hidden under the current object.

The dawn of the Romanesque Church of Saint John the Baptist remains unknown. The first written record comes from 1320, mentioning the structure in connection with Father Jan. The church was surrounded by a small cemetery, parsonage (no. 204), and parish school (no. 206). The church was disbanded during Joseph II’s reforms in 1784. Shortly after that, the structure was rebuilt into a residential house according to the design of the builder Ignác Jan Nepomuk Palliardi. In 1896, it was demolished and replaced by the present residential house. The historians have reconstructed the earliest Romanesque part as a central type church with a quadratic nave adjoined by semi-circular apses on the east, north, and south. During the Middle Ages, a large rectangular nave was built on the west.

The church was probably built near the Vltava crossing as part of the court of a high-status person. The 2001 archaeological research resulting from the reconstruction of the house cast new light on previous knowledge. The multiple stone constructions with graves, which were discovered under the brick floor of the cellar, were identified with the site of the former Church of Saint John the Baptist. Another sacral structure which was built prior to the Romanesque church was discovered during further research. It disclosed small fragments of the apse and south perimeter marlstone wall bases. The building indicated a simple one-nave structure which appears to date from the turn of the 11th and 12th centuries. After the mid-12th century, most likely, the earlier church was replaced with an architectonically more demanding central type building made of marlstone ashlars adjacent to a right-angled unknown structure which was built on the west. The cemetery with multiple graves situated both inside and outside the structure was an important part of the compound. After research, all uncovered ruins of the church remained preserved under the new floor.

Datum vložení: 21.1.2019 | Datum aktualizace: 3.7.2020
Autor: Jaroslav Podliska

Použité prameny:
  • Mádl, K. B. 1896–1897: Zbořený kostel sv. Jana na Zábradlí v Praze. Památky archaeologické a místopisné 17, 425–438.
  • Podliska J. 2002: Nové poznatky o kostele sv. Jana Křtitele Na Zábradlí na Starém Městě pražském. Průzkumy památek 9/1, 83–100.