Strahov Monastery, one of the crucial religious compounds in Prague, occupies a prominent position above the Lesser Town basin. Its early days are closely bound to the ruling Přemyslid dynasty. The foundations for the Premonstratensian monastery (canonry) on the Strahov Mount (referred to as Mons Sion in Latin sources) were laid between 1143 and 1144 based on the decree of Vladislaus II, Prince of Bohemia and future king, and his wife Gertrude. Jindřich Zdík, Bishop of Olomouc, was significantly instrumental in the establishment of the monastery. However, the beginnings of the Strahov monastic community date from a slightly earlier period and may be associated with the rather unknown convent of monastic canons headed by Abbot Blažej who settled there around 1140. But he did not stay long. In 1142, the Premonstratensians of Steinfeld in the Rhineland replaced him at Zdík’s request. Soon after, they created a growing convent led by Abbot Geze. At the beginning, provisional timber structures formed the canonry which were replaced by stone Romanesque structures during the second half of the 12th century. The large Romanesque Basilica of the Assumption of Our Lady was erected during the first stage. When completed, the extensive convent and separate residence for the ruler, later the abbot, was built. Over time, the importance of the compound with the monastic church was enhanced by burials of prominent persons therein. After the fires in 1258 and the 14th century, the monastery was rebuilt in a Gothic style. In 1420, during the Hussite Wars, the monastery was plundered. The next major reconstruction was carried out after a long period of time, during the 17th and 18th centuries, imprinting more or less today’s appearance on the compound.
The settlement outsets reach even deeper. As discovered during archaeological research, the monastery was founded on the site of an earlier lay burial ground of the 9th–10th centuries. Evidence of early medieval burying from the time prior to the monastery foundation has emerged along the monastic church, at the library court, and in the area of today’s farming court no. 127. The basic layout of the monastery is Romanesque. Situated on the southern part of the church and encompassing authentic interiors with many construction details, the cloister is one of the best-preserved parts of the monastery. Similarly, the exterior western wall of this wing, which reveals the original storey layout of the structure, survived well. Visitors may admire further less-preserved Romanesque structures in other parts of the monastery.
Datum vložení: 21.1.2019 | Datum aktualizace: 3.7.2020
Autor: Jaroslav Podliska