Polycultural Locality – Early Přemyslid Hillfort and High Medieval Fortress

Prague 9, Vinoř

location of the Great and Small Fort in the Castle

A polycultural site, including an early Premyslid hillfort and a high medieval fortress

Public transport - bus stops in Vinoři or Satalice (from where there is connection to the metro line C, Ládví station), then walking.

Archaeologists have been familiar with the locality since the 19th century. In the 1980s, a detailed plan of the hillfort was produced and surface collection was carried out. The Institute of Archaeology of the Faculty of Arts of Charles University has been examining the locality systematically since 2013 using a combination of non-destructive methods (surface collection, geophysical measurements, detector prospection) and archaeological excavations. As a result, the remarkable history of the settlement development from the Late Stone Age (Neolithic) to the Modern Era has been successfully restored in this part of the Prague landscape.

A rather sparse settlement by prehistoric farmers during the Neolithic and Eneolithic (Copper Age) periods appears to have introduced these events. On the other hand, the end of the Early Iron Age – assumingly a period of the first fortification – represents a major stage of the settlement. Sporadic findings indicate that Vinoř Hillfort was settled during the La Tène and Roman periods as well. The new climax in the intensity of the use of the promontory, which is situated nearly in the ideal halfway between Prague and Stará Boleslav, appeared during the extensive foundation of hillforts in Bohemia under the rule of the first generations of the Přemyslid dynasty. At that time, a sturdy earth and timber fortification was built and probably a ducal court. Ultimately, speculations about the central role of the area are further enhanced by the eloquent traces referring to the existence of an early medieval church. During the High Middle Ages, a settlement with a manor emerged inside the former hillfort; according to historical sources of 1396, the first recorded owner was Ješek of Hradištko. During the 15th and 16th centuries, owners alternated at the Hradištko village and fortress and were last mentioned in 1627.

Datum vložení: 21.1.2019 | Datum aktualizace: 3.7.2020
Autor: Jan Hasil

Použité prameny:
  • Daněček, V. 2005: Indicie podoby vnitřní plochy raně středověkého hradiště v Praze-Vinoři. Archeologie ve středních Čechách 9, 561–567.
  • Holec, F. 1996: Zaniklé vesnice na území hlavního města Prahy. Pražský sborník historický 29, 117–150.
  • Kuna, M. et al. 2014: Archeologický atlas Čech. Vybrané památky od pravěku do 20. století. Praha, 305–307.
  • Richterová, J. 1997: Povrchový průzkum raně středověkých hradišť v Praze-Vinoři a Královicích. In: J. Kubková et al. eds., Život v archeologii středověku. Sborník věnovaný Miroslavu Richterovi a Zdeňku Smetánkovi, Praha, 525–534.