TYN COURT (UNGELT)

Tyn Court is one of the well-preserved medieval courts, from time immemorial regarded as a witness of the earliest history of the settlement below Prague Castle. It is recorded in written sources from the rule of Bořivoj II (1100–1107) and in…

MONASTERY OF THE KNIGHTS OF THE CROSS WITH THE RED STAR AND THE RUINS OF JUDITH BRIDGE

Monastic church and Romanesque bridge

The Monastery of the Knights of the Cross with the Red Star adjacent to the Church of Saint Francis of Assisi is the home monastery of the original Bohemian religious order of knights established by Agnes of Bohemia. The foundation stone for the…

CHURCH OF SAINTS PHILIP AND JAMES IN BETHLEHEM SQUARE

Disappeared medieval church

In the Middle Ages, the Church of Saints Philip and James was situated in the Bethlehem Square in front of the Bethlehem Chapel façade. The archaeologist Ivan Borkovský uncovered the church foundations between 1948 and 1949. Very little information…

CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST AT NA ZÁBRADLÍ

Disappeared medieval church

The dawn of the Romanesque Church of Saint John the Baptist remains unknown. The first written record comes from 1320, mentioning the structure in connection with Father Jan. The church was surrounded by a small cemetery, parsonage (no. 204), and…

BETHLEHEM CHAPEL AND ITS UNDERGROUND

Remains of the medieval chapel with in situ archaeological findings

The current image of the Bethlehem Chapel is the outcome of the generous reconstruction from 1950–1954 using the partly preserved medieval structures according to the design of Jaroslav Fragner. The burghers of Prague, shopkeeper Jan Kříž and…

DOMINICAN MONASTERY OF SAINT CLEMENT

A small church of Saint Clement was situated near the Old Town end of Judith Bridge. The Dominicans, also known as the Friars Preachers, who settled at Saint Clement’s Church at Na Poříčí shortly after their arrival in Prague (1225/1226),…

ANGEL’S COLLEGE ROMANESQUE HOUSE

The three-storeyed house is one of the first recognised Romanesque houses which, in the time of its discovery, was exceptionally well preserved. The history of the house may be tracked to 1383 when it was in the possession of the All Saints…