MONASTERY OF THE KNIGHTS OF THE CROSS WITH THE RED STAR AND THE RUINS OF JUDITH BRIDGE

Monastic church and Romanesque bridge

The Monastery of the Knights of the Cross with the Red Star adjacent to the Church of Saint Francis of Assisi is the home monastery of the original Bohemian religious order of knights established by Agnes of Bohemia. The foundation stone for the…

CHURCH OF SAINTS PHILIP AND JAMES IN BETHLEHEM SQUARE

Disappeared medieval church

In the Middle Ages, the Church of Saints Philip and James was situated in the Bethlehem Square in front of the Bethlehem Chapel façade. The archaeologist Ivan Borkovský uncovered the church foundations between 1948 and 1949. Very little information…

CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST AT NA ZÁBRADLÍ

Disappeared medieval church

The dawn of the Romanesque Church of Saint John the Baptist remains unknown. The first written record comes from 1320, mentioning the structure in connection with Father Jan. The church was surrounded by a small cemetery, parsonage (no. 204), and…

PALACES OF MEDIEVAL VYŠEHRAD

During the rule of Vratislav II (1061–1092, crowned 1085/1086) and his immediate successors, Vyšehrad was the chief Přemyslid residence. It is likely that its imposing architecture temporarily overshadowed the traditional Přemyslid residence…

THE VANISHED VLTAVA ISLAND AT KLÁROV

In the Middle Ages, there was an area adjacent to the fortified Lesser Town settlement below Prague Castle which was referred to as At the Sands because of the sandy silts accumulated during floods. The written records of the second half of the 13th…

DOMINICAN MONASTERY OF SAINT CLEMENT

A small church of Saint Clement was situated near the Old Town end of Judith Bridge. The Dominicans, also known as the Friars Preachers, who settled at Saint Clement’s Church at Na Poříčí shortly after their arrival in Prague (1225/1226),…